Do you want to get more fans and followers for your dropshipping store on the top social media networks? If so, then you can follow in the footsteps of other ecommerce stores that have found ways to promote themselves through organic and paid tactics. In this post, you’ll find seven social media tips for building an audience for your ecommerce store on the top social media networks. These social media tips will help prepare you to create a successful brand on social platforms.
- 7 Social Media Tips for Building an Audience for Your Store
- 1. Add Links to Active Social Profiles on Your Website
- 2. Add Links to Active Social Profiles on Other Social Profiles
- 3. Obtain Common Usernames for Your Social Accounts
- 4. Create Consistent Visual Branding
- 5. Target Audiences Familiar with Your Products
- 6. Run a Giveaway
- 7. Establish an Ambassador Program
- Bonus Social Media Tips: Protect Your Social Media Audiences
- In Conclusion
- Want to Learn More?
7 Social Media Tips for Building an Audience for Your Store
1. Add Links to Active Social Profiles on Your Website
First up of the social media tips is adding links to your website. Have you looked at the social links on your website lately? If you aren’t actively using all of the social networks you’re linking to on your website, you’re missing out on opportunities to build your audience on other channels.
Let’s say that someone clicks on your Google+ link, and you haven’t updated that profile in years. They may not take the time to visit your other profiles. If you focus your links on the social networks you’re most active on, you’ll build your audiences on the networks most likely to drive people back to your store.
2. Add Links to Active Social Profiles on Other Social Profiles
Social channels like YouTube allow you to link to your other social media pages and profiles. You can add or edit to these links by going to your YouTube channel’s About tab and clicking on the Customize Channel button.
Scroll down until you see the Links section. Hover over that section to reveal the pencil Edit icon to the right. Then you will be able to add up to four links (be sure to include one to your store too).
Once configured, the links will appear as social icons overlapping your channel art.
When you enter a custom link for your store, your store name will appear next to it, making it stand out from your social links. This will give your YouTube channel visitors and subscribers the chance to visit your store or become fans of your other social accounts.
3. Obtain Common Usernames for Your Social Accounts
One of the most important social media tips is obtaining a consistent username. Help your fans and customers find your store easier and know it’s your store from one social network to the next by securing common usernames. You can see how Brilliant Bicycle Co. does on their Facebook @ridebrilliant…
On their Instagram @ridebrilliant…
On their Twitter… @ridebrilliant
And on their Pinterest @ridebrilliant.
If you can’t get consistent usernames across all of your social accounts, you can do the following to ensure cohesion.
4. Create Consistent Visual Branding
The next best thing to consistent usernames across your top social channels is consistent visual branding. Specifically, think about the profile and cover photos. Penguin Books doesn’t use the same cover photos, they do use photos with similar coloring and subject matter on their Facebook page…
On their Twitter profile…
And on their LinkedIn company page.
For networks like Instagram that lack a cover photo, they upload individual images with the same theme.
As you can see, the consistent logo and use of orange from one property to the next signals that it’s the same brand running them all, even if the usernames and company names are different.
5. Target Audiences Familiar with Your Products
Do you want to kill two birds with one stone? Create remarketing ads on the top social media advertising platforms. These ads will not only give you the chance to remind your website visitors about your great products, but they will also give those users a chance to connect with your store on social media.
Rothys remarket website visitors on Instagram. Ads in the Instagram news feed don’t show a follow button in addition to the Shop Now call to action, but your targeted audience can tap on your store’s username to visit and follow your account.
Twitter and LinkedIn also offer similar advertising options that allow you to target your website visitors with ads that can promote your products and your accounts on each network.
6. Run a Giveaway
One of the best social media tips is to run a giveaway. Why? It helps you skyrocket your audience. Shopify has apps that allow you to run giveaways and contests where entries can include participants follow your social media channels. Tactical Gear, for example, runs a monthly contest where entries are earned by following them on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook.
7. Establish an Ambassador Program
Another one of the social media tips is to get people talking about your store on social networks is to establish an ambassador program. Shopify integrates with several brand ambassador services, allowing ecommerce store owners the ability to recruit people to share their love for the brand with their social audiences.
R. Riveter, an online retailer of bags and accessories, runs an ambassador program where loyal fans of the store’s products talk about them on Facebook…
And on Twitter.
In each of the above posts, ambassadors and fans of R. Riveter include a link to the store’s username. This can help increase their brand awareness and fanbase on each of the top social networks.
Hope you enjoyed these social media tips, but let’s throw in one more!
Bonus Social Media Tips: Protect Your Social Media Audiences
What’s just as important as building your audience on the top social networks and engaging with them? Keeping them secure. If you don’t take security precautions with your social accounts, you could lose them, along with the audiences you invested so much in building.
The best ways to keep the social accounts for your store secure are as follows.
- Enable 2-factor login authentication and create backup login codes on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest, YouTube, and other networks. This will ensure that any logins made to your social accounts are made by you and that you can recover your account easier. Remember to configure this security feature for your Shopify store too.
- Review security settings for Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest, YouTube, and other social network accounts. On applicable networks, also review settings for advertising accounts, business manager dashboards, company pages, and groups. Remove any users and apps that no longer need access to those accounts and properties.
- Check user access to third-party social media tools that you are using, such as Buffer, HootSuite, or Sprout Social to ensure that all messages posted to your social accounts are authorized.
- Make sure any employees or consultants with access to your social accounts also enable 2-factor login authentication, create backup codes, and review their security settings for personal social accounts that have access to your store’s social media pages and properties.
These simple social media tips will reduce the likelihood of your social accounts getting hacked, hijacked, or stolen and thus help you keep the brand and brand audiences that you have worked so hard to assemble.
As you can see, there are several ways you can start growing your social media audiences. For example, organically and via paid advertising. Each of these social media tips should allow you to create a strong base of social media fans. Fans that can become customers and ambassadors for your store’s brand. So, use these social media tips as a starting point for your store’s.